21 - 22 March 2013
Calidas Landmark 72, Hanoi, Viet Nam
Government of Viet Nam
Government of Japan
Government of Australia
Government of Indonesia
ASEAN Working Group on Environmentally Sustainable Cities
1. To provide a broad platform for information sharing and knowledge exchange on ESC development in the region among all stakeholders
2. To review and report the progress of the ASEAN ESC Model Cities Programme funded by the Japan-ASEAN Integration Fund (JAIF) building on the programme’s Year 1 achievements.
3. To share information on international organisations’ assistance schemes, the private sector’s technologies and expertise as well as city-to-city cooperation for ESC development
4. To discuss necessary legal reforms and policy development for realising ESC development.
5. To identify possible cooperation among EAS countries on ESC with other initiatives, including ‘FutureCity’ Initiative by Government of Japan.
National and local governments, bilateral and international development agencies, city networks, NGOs, private companies, academia and community groups
• Day 1: Keynote presentations, progress of ASEAN Model Cities and collaborative opportunities discussions, thematic presentations and discussions by other organisations
• Day 2: Discussion on future activities on ESC and Chair’s Summary.
The High Level Seminar on Environmentally Sustainable Cities (HLS ESC) is the flagship collaborative initiative by 18 East Asia Summit (EAS) participating countries (consisting of 10 ASEAN member states, plus Australia, China, India, Japan, Republic of Korea, and New Zealand as well as the United States and Russia) to foster concrete activities on ESC in the region.
It provides a platform to gather a broad range of stakeholders from government ministries, local governments, international organisations, NGOs, academe and front-line experts on urban environmental management to discuss current issues and explore opportunities for collaborative actions. Past seminars were: 1st HLS ESC (Jakarta, Indonesia in March 2010), 2nd HLS ESC (Kitakyushu, Japan in March 2011) and 3rd HLS ESC (Siem Reap, Cambodia in March 2012).
The 4th HLS ESC was held on 21 - 22 March 2013, in Hanoi, Vietnam back to back with the Fourth Regional 3R Forum in Asia (18-20 March 2013, Hanoi, Viet Nam) and with the support of EAS participating countries and international organisations. Please click on the following links for further background information and the programme