9 - 10 February 2015
Thistle Hotel, Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Government of Malaysia
Government of Japan
Government of Cambodia
ASEAN Working Group on Environmentally Sustainable Cities
1. To present the findings, outputs and achievements of the ASEAN ESC Model Cities Programme (Year 2) and to gather inputs on the way forward towards the programme’s Year 3;
2. To discuss and formulate recommendable practical actions to EAS Environment Ministers for enhancing the current state of ESC cooperation in East Asia, towards a vision of a post-2015 'ASEAN ESC Community' and to identify specific roles and opportunities of involvement among all key stakeholders;
3. To discuss and seek inputs on: i) specific messages to senior officials and Ministers towards the 5th East Asia Summit Environment Ministers Meeting; ii) ASEAN’s strategy and direction on ESC collaboration towards the 2015 ASEAN Community and greater engagement with supporting partners through the ASEAN Working Group on ESC;
4. To highlight international organisations’ assistance schemes, the private sector’s technologies and expertise as well as the importance of city-to-city cooperation for ESC development with a focus on capacity building for local government officers and other stakeholders, especially those in small to medium-sized cities, to facilitate the transfer of knowledge and technology in a sustainable and effective manner.
National and local governments, bilateral and international development agencies, city networks, NGOs, private companies, academia and community groups
• Day 1: Keynote presentation; stocktaking; outputs and achievements of the ASEAN Model Cities Programme Year 2; discussion on practical actions to EAS Environment Ministers for enhancing the current state of ESC cooperation in East Asia
• Day 2: Discussion and adoption of the Chair’s Summary.
The High Level Seminar on Environmentally Sustainable Cities (HLS ESC) is the flagship collaborative initiative by 18 East Asia Summit (EAS) participating countries (consisting of 10 ASEAN member states, plus Australia, China, India, Japan, Republic of Korea, and New Zealand as well as the United States and Russia) to foster concrete activities on ESC in the region.
It provides a platform to gather a broad range of stakeholders from government ministries, local governments, international organisations, NGOs, academe and front-line experts on urban environmental management to discuss current issues and explore opportunities for collaborative actions. Past seminars were: 1st HLS ESC (Jakarta, Indonesia in March 2010), 2nd HLS ESC (Kitakyushu, Japan in March 2011), 3rd HLS ESC (Siem Reap, Cambodia in March 2012), 4th HLS ESC (Hanoi, Viet Nam in March 2013) and 5th HLS ESC (Surabaya, Indonesia in February/March 2014).